Since we decided the sort of business we want to run, we have been tossing around a number of different names for our new enterprise.
When looking, some of things we kept in mind were:
- Is the business name available?
- Is the domain name available?
- Is there a registered trademark in Australia?
- Does it reflect what we want to do?
- Does it make the boys laugh? (believe me, this was a thing… one idea had my 14 year old laughing so hard as the words were teen talk for something or other! (he wouldn’t tell me what))
- Is it something we like?
After tossing around a number of ideas, we came up with Novel Surprise, and I registered it yesterday.
When I registered a business name 13 years ago, it was all done through the mail, or involved a trip into the city. This time, I was able to go to the ASIC website, and it was all done online! They even linked the business name to my ABN. A huge time saver.
There was a small issue with the registration, but I was able to ring them up and get some assistance. All in all, the processes was quite painless and I am now the proud owner of a brand new business name.
The next steps include:
- Register domain names
- Set up a Facebook page, and any other social media channels (this is an easy way to promote the business)
- Put out surveys to get interest from authors as potential suppliers
- Put out surveys to get interest from potential subscribers to help with pricing of subscription boxes and what to include inside them
Watch this space to how everything is going. Things will be moving slowly as we want to set things up so they fit around our life, and aim to launch in 2017.